At the SHSO we are passionate about playing music to a high standard to perform fine orchestral music live to a broad audience. We are committed to enriching the cultural community of the Southern Highlands, to fostering and promoting Australian artists and the performance of their music. The orchestra supports our musicians by providing opportunities and education in music for all ages.
To continue to do this we need community support.
We appreciate all the generous financial donations and volunteering of time that has helped us bring you beautiful music and hope that you can help us stay together and perform the excellent concert programs planned for the next 12 months and beyond.
There are a number of ways you can get involved.
Become a Friend of the Orchestra
As a friend of SHSO, you will receive the satisfaction of being a part of our thriving musical community as well as invitations to refreshments after some concert performances, and an exclusive annual musical Friends event. Your name in the programme if agreed.
Become a Sponsor
There are many opportunities for interested businesses or individuals to support the orchestra and, in doing so, reach an audience of music lovers, arts patrons, and all kinds of community members through our extensive marketing program which includes cinema advertising, radio, printed promotional materials as well as social media.
Support through sponsorship allows us keep our ticket prices affordable so that a large number of people are able to experience our concerts.
Sponsorship could take the form of an ongoing commitment to the orchestra or a one-off event.
Sponsorship opportunities include:
- A concert season
- A single concert
- An item in a concert such as a concerto performance
- A special instrument in a performance
- An orchestral chair eg. an instrumental player
- Ongoing overall financial support
Each concert is accompanied by a concert program along with other marketing collateral including posters and email newsletters. Opportunities exist with each concert for businesses to advertise across these mediums.
Make a Donation
You can help contribute to our ongoing success by making a donation in support of the orchestra generally, or by tying your donation to a particular activity of the orchestra.
Being a not-for-profit community initiative, the orchestra needs supporters to meet the ongoing cost of performing as well as funding to continue to provide a strong educational program for musicians of all ages.
For example, the main cost areas involved include:
- Bursary SHSO provides bursaries to ensure ongoing development of musicians and support for young musicians in the Highlands.
- Instruments Ongoing cost to purchase and maintain instruments.
- Contribution to Running Costs such as insurance, venue charges, marketing costs and music purchase.
Donations have helped us purchase equipment that enables us to play a wider range of music.
The SHSO has DGR status.
Donations over $2 are fully tax deductible.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jenette on 0416 380 567
Become a Volunteer
As a community orchestra we welcome extra help to ensure that we run smoothly and successfully. As a volunteer you will receive the satisfaction of playing an important part in our thriving musical community.
Some essential areas we need assistance in are:
- At concerts – setting up the foyer, managing concert tickets, serving refreshments and ushering.
- Helping to set up and pack up before and after concerts.
- Publicity, marketing – distributing posters and leaflets.
- Organising fund raising events.
If you are interested in supporting SHSO in any of the above ways, please contact Jenette.
0416 380 567
Interested in joining the Orchestra?
If you are a musician of AMEB grade 6 or higher and would like to join the orchestra, we would love to hear from you.
You will meet a great group of musicians from the Southern Highlands and surrounding districts. We have a wide age range – from students through to retirees – and professions including IT, law, medicine, media, teaching and publishing. They come together at SHSO for some seriously enjoyable music making. For enquiries about joining the orchestra call 0415 309 760.
Each concert series has a tight rehearsal schedule. So that we perform at our best, players are expected to:
- Be available for rehearsals
- Be seated and ready to play by the starting time of each rehearsal and concerts
- Inform us well in advance of any rehearsal you cannot attend
- Assist with setting up and packing up at rehearsal and concert venue
- Carry out private practice between rehearsals.